Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Convictions in Canada

Information About Auto Insurance and Crossing the Border

In Canada, a driving under the influence (DUI) conviction can cause your insurance rates to increase for a period of three to six years. The length of these rate increases will vary depending on your insurer. A DUI charge could cause your insurance premiums to triple in the first year. Other insurance companies will not even renew your insurance. If you have a DUI conviction, and you are looking for car insurance, then the best option is to start phoning insurance companies to find out which insurance options are still available to you. A local insurance agent will have dealt with similar situations in the past so they will be able to point you in the right direction also.

If you are 19-years-old and you have an accident, impaired driving conviction, and a licence suspension on your driving record then your insurance rates will go through the roof. Some insurance companies may require you to pay as much as $15,000-$20,000 per year in premiums, in a situation such as the one listed above. If you have more driving experience, if you were not involved in an accident, or if your license was not revoked then your rates will likely be lower than that. To get a more accurate estimate of your insurance premiums you should get a quote from a few different insurance providers. Some companies specialize in DUI car insurance such as Creative Insurance in Edmonton.

Drinking & Driving in Canada

DUI convictions stay on your record for a period of three years. They cause your insurance premiums to go up and can affect your standing in your profession. A conviction may make you ineligible for certain employment. Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD Canada) estimates that between 1,350 and 1,600 Canadians are killed by drunk drivers each year. Many more people are injured and families are destroyed by drinking and driving. If you are drinking alcohol then plan a safe ride home and leave your vehicle parked over night.

DUI Convictions and Crossing the Border Into the United States

According to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website, a DUI/DWI conviction is not grounds to deny a Canadian citizen entry into the United States.

DUI Convictions and Crossing the Border Into Canada

If you have a DUI/DWI or a reckless driving conviction in the United States then you are inadmissible to enter Canada. If you have any past convictions then you should make sure to obtain the necessary documents before entering Canada. The officers at the border have final say when it comes to who they let enter the country so keep that in mind, even if you have the proper paperwork.

You can apply for rehabilitation or for a temporary resident permit by contacting the Canadian Consulate in the US. You can also apply for rehabilitation at the Canadian border. To do this, you must have only had one conviction, and 10 years must have passed since you were sentenced. The conviction must not have involved serious physical harm or property damage, or involved a weapon.

You will need to bring a number of documents to a Canadian port of entry – during regular business hours – to apply for deemed rehabilitation. The other two options are to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or an Application for Rehabilitation. You should apply for a Temporary Resident Permit if less than five years has passed since your conviction. If more than five years has passed then you can apply for rehabilitation. There is no guarantee that your application will be approved and that you will be able to enter Canada.

You can contact the Canadian Border Services Agency by calling 1-506-636-5064. To learn more about deemed rehabilitation visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. Both options will give you a better idea of what you need to cross the border into Canada, if you have a DUI conviction.

Compare car insurance quotes

Enter your postal code and compare rates from over 30 insurance providers!